[MUD-Dev] Structured Social Play

shren shren at io.com
Mon Sep 17 14:46:17 CEST 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Daniel Bendiksen wrote:
>> From: shren
>> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Daniel Bendiksen wrote:

>>> Another thing that turns me off about mud email is how
>>> shockingly primitive it is! It's almost like someone created a
>>> crude line entry method and thought "operational. I'll make it
>>> better later", but then never got back to it.

>> Sounds like there's room for a common document editor for smaller
>> muds to use.  Have an editor/small server package where the
>> player can write and name documents.  When the user logs on to a
>> mud, the mud calls the player's ip with the port of the document
>> system, and then whenever he needs to input
>> text/email/messages/whatever he has the option of using text from
>> the document system.

> Maybe a pretty good idea, but you will encounter a real problem
> with it...  The server attempting to connect to the client will
> bounce off both NAT and most firewalls, and thusly will fail for
> some (maybe many) users.

True.  The solution is to somehow reverse the connection, so the
client contacts the server.  Maybe the mud can open an extra port?
You'd boot the document manager and the mud client at the same time
and they'd call out.

--
All that I believe now, anything is possible,
a simple explanation for the evil in this world,