[MUD-Dev] LTM article

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Fri Sep 21 15:11:04 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trump" <trump at vividvideo.com>

> This was posted on Lumthemad.net I thought it might be of interest
> to everyone here, I'm sure I'm not the only one who was both
> amused and apalled by this.

I've been seeing quite a bit of this "I thought of it first, you
stole that idea from me" fever going around lately (check fatbabies
for another incarnation regarding Max Payne's bullet-time), and
frankly, it rather sickens me, especially in the gaming industry,
where practically every game you could name is a derivative of some
other game.

If you want to take it to an extreme, even game concepts that don't
derive directly from other games almost certainly derive from
real-world concepts.

Bullet time?  You ripped it off from movies, which probably ripped
it off from literature, which ripped it off from the odd perceptions
associated with a severe adrenaline rush.

Building cities from scratch, supporting them economically, and then
fighting over them?  Gee, where could you possibly have got that
idea from...

Duh.  Do I even need to mention that gang-oriented warfare has been
a part of human history since human history began, and certainly
even before then?  Mimicing real life is not innovation.  It's
mimicry.  Innovation comes in when you figure out how to mimic in a
convincing manner, and you actually DO it.  Innovation is not coming
up with new ideas, it's implementing old ideas.  You may be the
first person to DO it (although even that is unlikely depending
entirely on definitions), but you're certainly not the first to
think of it, nor will you be the last.

Your ideas, while very good, are not original.  Somebody else
somewhere else sometime else had practically the same idea you did.
Somebody probably even had the very same idea years, if not decades
or even centuries or more, before you did.  Get over it.  Get over
your ego-ridden self and implement that idea, which will put you
leaps and bounds beyond the last person that thought of it and
didn't implement it, probably because they didn't think it could be
done with the resources available to them, if it could be done at
all.

Sheesh.

Most important developments seem to come from many directions at the
same time.  Developments that are only accomplished by one person
(or one group of people) tend to be of the type that nobody else can
duplicate (cold fusion).

And with that, I need to stop, before I really start to get
harsh. :)