[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Ola Fosheim Grøstad <olag+flames@ifi.uio.no> Ola Fosheim Grøstad <olag+flames@ifi.uio.no>
Mon Sep 24 18:00:10 CEST 2001

Lee Sheldon wrote:

> One of Chris' more lucid and comprehensible essays, and I'm going

The meaning of words get redefined every day. An essay that manage
to mock science, philosophy and theology just to state that
grandfathers are able to adapt stories... Lucid???

(This is not to say I dislike the guy, you gotta like a guy that
sets out to write a book on HCI blatantly ignoring the whole body of
HCI research and happily stating so on the opening pages.)

> The fact is that story and interactivity/game play have co-existed
> in the same experience quite happily for centuries.  Yet now
> people have decided there must be some new magical paradigm.  It's
> a new medium.  All the rules have changed.  No.  Sorry.

Do you have any evidence of this?  Clearly a good storyteller (or
speaker) will adapt his story to the audience, but that is a far cry
from interactivity.  Likewise, kids don't need a compelling story to
experience one, they can create one themselves with just a few
hints.  They do it everyday in their play. And kids love lousy
stories told by their heroes (grandfathers included). Adults are
different, less flexible imagination, but a charismatic actor can
turn a disconnected series of events into a compelling art
experience.

So, what is the story and what is the surrounding context...? And
where is the interactivity?

> them, no wonder they are so readily swept under the rug.  It
> reminds me of my days at the California Institute of the Arts
> where some of the more misguided painters decided that you could
> tackle abstraction or surrealism without first learning to paint a
> pear that looks like a pear.  No.  Picasso could tell you that is
> wrong.  Salvador Dali would sadly pluck at his moustaches.  But
> the question

There are good graphic designers and visual artists that do not know
how to draw a pear.  They probably miss the satisfaction of
mastering the skill, but it doesn't prevent them from making art.
Great art is in the eye and mind, not in the hand.

--
Ola