[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Koster Koster
Wed Sep 26 09:08:59 CEST 2001

UO had bulletin boards, but people preferred the web to the in-game
boards.  Of course, Dark Ages has an extremely evolved in-game
politics system.

> However, it is important to realize that the WEB IS CONTENT in
> current large scale MUDs. (MMPORG)

An excellent point, Ola. One of the things that most strikes me as a
difference between muds and the commercial MMOs is how externalized
the community is in the latter. Web boards, guilds that hop games,
IRC channels, etc, all surround the game in a constellation and
greatly enhance it. In fact, there's significant power to be
harnessed there, because most of the users of the big games aren't
even aware of this extraordinarily rich community, which potentially
could lead to far greater retention.

There's also no game mechanics that recognize valuable contributions
to this ancillary community. As a result, there's a missing feedback
loop for an extremely important and desirable activity.

-Raph