[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Fri Sep 28 09:26:51 CEST 2001

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:32:44PM +0200, Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to Koster, Raph:

>> In other words, by putting a tightly-integrated community on your
>> website you hope to attract more people into game
>> communities. But instead, what you did is create a public
>> complaint line. And complaint lines aren't conducive to
>> community-building. So you end up with better communities on
>> places where the developers do not participate, or where there is
>> no expectation of a reply.

> Case in point: Funcom is in the process of shutting down their web
> board, wiping out all old messages, and making them fully
> moderated.

> Because the anger vented there was dwarfing even the worst of the
> "old" Verant EQ boards.

> Of course, it didn't help that Funcom pushed a patch that made
> some mobs almost invulnerables, and didn't even put an emergency
> patch or back off their changes.

I'm not sure that's a good example: Anarchy Online is quite, quite
dead.  The vast majority of their long-time players have left.

Or so says Lum The Mad, and others.  I have no direct experience.

You can't build much of a community around a game that's _that_
messed up.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ 	BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno