[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Fri Sep 28 17:50:33 CEST 2001

Daniel Harman writes:

>   a) Limit number of posts someone can make to one a day.

>   b) Limit posting to those who currently have game accounts.

>   c) I was going to suggest a form of peer review whereby the
>   threads have a floatiness (to the top) based on the rank of the
>   posters on the thread.

This reminds me of the fact that we've already talked about having a
voting system in the game world that attempts to distill who does
and does not respect/like/admire who.  Propagate that into the
bulletin board and it could be possible to bring comments of players
that I rate highly to the fore, or highlight them, or whatever
treatment the boards software cares to offer.  I could look for
postings by players in my game organization.  Or, in a class system
(blech), all postings by fighters, or mages, or blacksmiths, etc.

In any case, I'd hope that board software specific to a game would
include features that make sense to the game, such as the ability to
attach game items to posts, or map locations that can be displayed
in the game world map, etc.  The item attachment should work like an
image, only more interesting to interact with.

Further, player community supported through the game should not be
limited to an either/or situation.  While I'm in the game, I should
have full access to player community features, including topical or
group chats, etc.  Hopefully, actual voice interactions, as with a
conference call.  All through the game software.

JB