[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Jo Dillon jo at groupinfo.com
Thu Aug 1 10:14:08 CEST 2002

On 31 Jul 2002 at 14:09, Jack Britt wrote:

> I was thinking of doing something like this. Each body part would
> have x number of hit points. A torso would have 3x, head 2x, arms
> and legs would have x. Whenever a successful hit is made, there's
> a chance that the character will lose a point. When the hit points
> are at zero, that part is dead (arms are hacked off, torsos are
> disembowled, etc.) If its the torso or head that's reduced to
> zero, the player is dead. If its an arm or leg, the player might
> bleed to death, and suffered penalties to some skills rolls.

> Has anyone tried something like this before?

I did, in an AberMUD I ran many years ago. I modifed the Warhammer
Fantasy Roleplay combat system. It made for quite exciting fight
messages - 'You lop Foobert's head off with your club; it flies
across the room and lands in the corner', that sort of thing - but
it could end up being rather sudden-death. You might want to combine
such a system with a skill allowing players to aim at particular
parts of the body - it might be harder to hit the head, and expose
you more to blows from your opponent, but kill them much more
quickly if you get a hit in.

--

	Jo