[MUD-Dev] "The Artisan's Hands" - Storytelling tools

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sun Aug 4 04:31:23 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> I'm not trying to blow my horn, or the horn of the text medium
> here, but the article simply ignored all sorts of MMOGs doing
> exactly what he talked about (if NWN worlds count as massively
> multiplayer, than lots of text MUDs certainly do too).

I haven't read the article.  I am curious how many people really can
claim to have tried all sorts of games, be they MUD, or FPS, or RTS,
or CRPG, or whatever genre.  I know that as an aspiring game
developer, I put a lot of hours into a few people's titles that I
think might be directly relevant to my work, or just really good
games.  The rest, I can't keep up with.  In the MUD world there are
no advertizing campaigns, so finding MUDs that did this and this and
that storywise sounds highly problematic.  How do you think you'd
get the word out that such-and-such problems have been sovled by
so-and-so?  It seems that if no one knows, and if that's been true
for god knows how many years, then there's a failure of marketing
here.  Given the budgets, it's the failure one might obviously
expect.  So maybe I wouldn't be as hard on the guy as you would.
But like I said, I haven't read the article.

20% of the world is real.