[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Mon Aug 5 12:40:33 CEST 2002

From: Matt Mihaly

> Yeah, I know, but it's not the same to me at least. Knowing that
> I'm being treated like a retarded stepchild just to have a chance
> of competing against someone else isn't at all fun. It's even less
> fun than being beaten over and over with even resources, because
> winning just feels cheap and empty, and losing is even worse. =)

My favorite game in this regard is Magic: The Gathering.  Certainly,
a more advanced player is going to play smarter and have more
interesting cards to choose from, but it's not uncommon to see a new
player win one from time to time using lightning bolts, black
rituals and other common cards.  The fact that the game is a nice
balance of luck and skill helps make that end acceptable for all
players.

--d