[MUD-Dev] java clients

Philippe Lalande plalande at born2play.org
Mon Aug 5 15:21:19 CEST 2002

Brandon J. Van Every (vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com) wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>>> If you're a big commercial project, you can write your client
>>> with anything you want.  Whether people use it will depend on
>>> whether your game is any good, your marketing campaign is any
>>> good, same as with any other game title.

[snip]

>> Mandatory lengthy downloads were not an option for us, as our
>> business model is built on very low barrier to entry.

> If you're trying to do this commercially, see my first point
> above.  Maybe "big" commercial project was misleading.  If you're
> a commercial project, and your revenue depends on small initial
> download times, then you can certainly afford to pay for whatever
> programming tool will facilitate this.

Most, if not all, online commercial games' revenue depends on its
retention rate. You want to keep the majority of the people who look
at your product.

By adding an extra step such as a download, you risk losing a good
proportion of your potential new customer because they will see this
as an obstacle. People are lazy. They will go look elsewhere if they
cannot try your product when they want, which is most likely the
exact moment they visiting your promotial site, not after the X
minutes download.

The marketing will make people want to look at your product and your
product will make them want to stay. But you need to provide a lean
transition between these two steps or people will lose interest.

Philippe