[MUD-Dev] narrative

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Aug 7 01:44:37 CEST 2002

Bruce Mitchener wrote:

> For the storytelling people out there ... What would you like to
> see in a system to help you tell your stories?  What sorts of
> stories would you like to tell in a multiplayer environment that
> the technology doesn't make easy enough to do today?

This may sound like chops busting, but I can honestly only reflect
on my experiences running freeform PBEM RPG games for periods of 1.5
months fulltime at 7 different times from 1998..2001.  The core
issues are: I would like to deal with only 5 players max including
myself.  I would like those players to be inherently talented
writers and actors.  I would like them to all have the same level of
energy for content production.  I would like them to be in a similar
ballpark of authorial goals.

I do not see that a technology can ever resolve these issues.  I
believe if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself.  If I
gotta do it myself, I don't need an AI technology.

20% of the world is real.