[MUD-Dev] Unique items vs. item references

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Wed Aug 7 18:01:31 CEST 2002

From: Brian Hook

> But since I don't have direct experience in this arena, I'd like
> to hear how others have addressed this.  I believe that this was
> apparently one of the defining differences between EQ and UO?

The python-developed system we used in UO2 allowed us to override
class variables with instance variables, giving us the best of both
worlds - extremely small data sizes in most cases, with the ability
for a GM to change the name and damage stats of an object on the
fly.

That being said, I didn't have to code it.  I just had to say, "As a
designer, it sure would be nice...."  But it seemed to work
marvelously.

--d