[MUD-Dev] narrative

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Fri Aug 9 12:44:39 CEST 2002

Brandon J. Van Every writes:

> I think these R&D guys avoid learning how to write because they'd
> rather keep going in a kind of discipline / mentality /
> engineering methodology that is more familiar and tractable to
> them.  I'd love to read the writing of a R&D guy that proves me
> wrong.

Does Arthur C. Clarke count?

>> I think that these sorts of things could also be interesting in
>> not-quite-storytelling sorts of ways.

> This is where I think the real potential of "AI" tools is, and to
> the extent that I actually write, I have no interest in them.
> It's not writing and it never will be.  You can't make a silk
> purse out of a sow's ear.

Never is a long time.  Just as machines eventually became more
capable in the physical realm than people, they'll eventually become
more able to do the mental tasks that people do.  This is because
machines are simply the sum total of the efforts of many people,
with many refinements along the way.  It may not happen in our
lifetime, but it'll most definitely happen.

JB