[MUD-Dev] narrative

Jeff Lindsey Jeff at nextelligence.com
Fri Aug 9 13:32:04 CEST 2002

Brandon J. Van Every  wrote:
> Bruce Mitchener wrote:
>> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>>> I do not see that a technology can ever resolve these issues.  I
>>> believe if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself.  If
>>> I gotta do it myself, I don't need an AI technology.

>> So, I think Narrative technology as a whole has some value.

> My own storwriting experience leads me to believe that AI tools
> have no value whatsoever.  Writing stories is hard, it must be
> solved by human talent.  A *lot* of talent.

I would say using software to create basic quests and plotlines
instead of hiring an entire team of writers is "value". Cabinets
made from machine-cut wood components may not be fully hand-crafted
or as elegent as those done by a skilled artisan, but when you have
to furnish an entire neigborhood of houses in a few weeks, they fill
the need adequately.

> Look, bottom line this.  Can any of these theory R&D guys actually
> write?  Have they ever produced anything remotely resembling a
> good story, let alone a good story with their research tools?
> Attempts at frameworks can be impressive, for instance I have
> respect for what Chris Crawford has attempted to do with the
> Erasmatron.  However, the bottom line is: no product.  Why are we
> listening to researchers who have not proven that they are also
> good writers?

> I think these R&D guys avoid learning how to write because they'd
> rather keep going in a kind of discipline / mentality /
> engineering methodology that is more familiar and tractable to
> them.  I'd love to read the writing of a R&D guy that proves me
> wrong.

No offense, but I think that's a pretty narrow view of people in
general. As a designer, I ride the fence of creativity and logic;
I'm not exceptionally talented at either, but I manage to get things
done on both sides. Since when are writing a good story and coming
up with a working algorithm automatically mutually exclusive?

-Jeff