[MUD-Dev] narrative

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 12 03:41:23 CEST 2002

Interceeding in a conversation between Bruce Mitchener and
Mr. Zubek:
> Robert Zubek wrote:

>> Whether a strong Prolog inference engine is the way to go in this
>> case, is another question - though it's worthwhile to attack the
>> problem from all possible angles. But personally, my money is on
>> simpler techniques. :)

> Which systems and techniques are you thinking of?

Not trying to put words in Robert's mouth or anything, but I'd offer
that one alternative system might be what I jovially term the
'thousand monkeys' system.

While it's debatable whether even 5% of that content is 'good', it's
still a resource that's out there.  The reason this is still
untapped (to a large degree), is that like a 500 channel satellite
TV, a player's going to be hard pressed to find something that
he/she enjoys or is interested in.

Interactive narrative instead pushes the story to the user, making
that problem go away.  But what about pushing player content to
players?  Well, I wouldn't force the content on anyone, god forbid,
but how about recommending stories based on your past likes/dislikes
(ala Amazon.com's recommendation system).

By all accounts, it's a simplier technique which might have the same
effect - in terms of providing an interesting narrative.  It relies
on good ol' fashioned brute-force (monkey power) to punch up the
stories, but technology to tie it together.  In some ways though,
it's almost like a 'smart' message forum, one that can decide
whether you'd be interested in the newest story post.

TLC