[MUD-Dev] Origins of "carebear"

Koster Koster
Mon Aug 12 08:31:29 CEST 2002

My editorial notes enclosed in double brackets. - Raph

start quote-->
> Speaking of Carebear, was that term coined at the Oasis Tavern on
> Ches [[the Chesapeake server of UO]], or was it just used there?

The term was first used on CoB [[Crossroads of Britannia, a fan
website with a large and active community]], by Calandryll [[aka Jon
Hanna, who now works on Ultima Online]]. To me. (and not meant in
any derogatory term.)

The crew there were split between LS and Chessy, with Xav, Cal,
Magical Bubba, Fey etc. on LS, and myself and many others on Chessy.

It went something like this....

Someone asked about 'kill counts' (how many other players had you
killed in UO), and amongst many others, I answered '12' (and
proceeded to name them).

Then, one night, the LS server was down, and Xav and crew created
'newbie' characters on Chessy, and eventually made their way to the
Oasis tavern, where they all attacked 'Elawyn of Yew'.

She survived, but was totally surrounded by dead bodies...

  (I later got an email from Xav, titled something like "So much for
  that low kill count eh?)

Several months later, 'we' had our revenge. About a dozen of us
created new chars on LS, each named after a 'Care Bear'. We started
in Trinsic, hugging, loving and being 'nice' to everyone there, and
after they all ran away in terror, someone gated us to Silks tavern.

End result, Xav's friends ran out of reagents killing us, while poor
Xav was playing 'tag' with a bunch of doods.

Several months after that, the 'Oasis' tavern was targetted by a
dood pk guild, and I came up with the 'Carebear Manifesto' as a way
of doing 'passive resistance'. It worked extremely well, the
highlights being ...

Their guildmaster was so overly eager to 'roxxor' us that he killed
himself with purple potions, so we clean looted their guildhouse.

Most of their 'Chaos' guild members went 'red' killing us, and that
part of the guild folded.

Most of their 'pk' chars ended up in deep deep deep statloss from
chasing 'Carebears' into the guard zone.

Their guildmaster put out an icq to everyone (including our
'plants') asking everyone on the guild to ping bomb the server in an
attempt to crach it so it would revert.

I spent almost two hours in 'jail' explaining to a GM why there was
no 'lewt' on my corpse when the PK folks got so totally frustrated
that they called the GM's.

Most of their guild later ended up being perma banned for
duping. (They also got kicked from EQ, Battlenet, AO and DAoC).

The 'Carebear Manifesto' ended up being used by the ERPA (European
Roleplayers Association) as a standard method to deal with 'dood'
pks.

> Can I forward this to mud-dev? For historical purposes. - Raph

Sure. (I retain copyright, but permission to requote, relink, or
develop 'derivative' works is granted without reservation, as long
as I get the 'credit' for the original idea. Well, hey, it *might*
make me rich one day...)

The " Care Bear Manifesto", in full and unabridged, can be found at

  http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/ydo86/europatown/faq/care.html

or

  http://www.dweller.com/vv/lib_bear.htm
<--end quote