[MUD-Dev] Re: The total DBMS approach

Aaron Aaron
Mon Aug 12 09:57:19 CEST 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Valerio Santinelli wrote:
> From: "Derek Licciardi" <kressilac at insightBB.com>

>> For a MUD, this might be totally different.  If anyone gives the
>> approach a try, I'd love to hear how it came out

> I am not going to try it with a MUD, but I was thinking about
> giving it a try with UOX3 and MySQL. UOX3 is an Ultima Online
> server emulator and is well suited to this kind of conversion. And
> MySQL is the choice because it's free and it's available both for
> Windows and Linux which are the main platforms used by the
> emulator.

I'm curious to see how using MySQL will work as a storage backend as
well.  I'm currently developing a graphical mud which will use
MySQL, however, I am going to develop it the capability of running
from other databases as well as a flat file system, just in case it
fails.  That part is already planned out, and should be no big deal.
The game server will be running Perl, which I will use to interface
with the database(s), on an old Sparc I have lying around.  Don't
worry though, I know that this isn't a super-powered system.  My
playerbase will probably only be about 70 or so people, with about
10 or 15 people playing at once at any given time.

In deciding to run from MySQL, I am also taking into consideration
its limitations.  As far as no nested queries, I can get around that
with no problem.  If it is a problem, I'll hope MySQL 4.1 has it
working by the time I finish.  If I remember correctly though, MySQL
only allows DB writes one at a time, whereas the big powerhouse DBs
can have multiple writes.  This kind of concerns me, but it
shouldn't end up too much differently than flat file.  It will just
be easier to deal with info.

So, we'll see what happens.

Aaron