[MUD-Dev] Unique items vs. item references

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Mon Aug 12 10:35:00 CEST 2002

According to Dave Rickey:

> This is not quite accurate.  Some fields are saved on a
> per-instance basis, some it is taken from the template object.
> For example, the

Yuck. I should have known that, otherwise, the "grand stat
improvement" (which occured when every +X bonus to a stat got 50%
higher) would have been quite hard to do.

But then, the recent changes (for Spellcraft and I presume Alchemy)
put you closer to a real flexible.

> The one bad part is that every time we want to change what is
> saved, the entire character database on each server has to be
> converted to use the new format.  This adds about an hour to the
> time it takes to patch.

Another big question is how flexible the server code is in that
regard.  Does moving a property from template to instance require
lots of rewriting or was it modular enough from the start.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)