[MUD-Dev] Otherland

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 11:03:36 CEST 2002

On 12 August 2002, Steve (Bloo) Daniels wrote:

> Hehe.  You said "Real World".  They still shelve Williams in the
> Sci-Fi and Fantasy sections with good reason.

Yes, but those shelves are in the real world, and the books are read
in the real world.

> Also, the series has quite a lot of bad things to say about
> virtual worlds and losing yourself in one (or several as the case
> may be).

Whether those are bad things or not is up to the individual
concerned, surely? The only really "bad" thing was being unable to
leave.

> Particularly that they can be very dangerous, even fatal.

I wouldn't say that the worlds were fatal. The deaths that occurred
were due to a phenomenon that would never be used for running a
virtual world

  (ie. a super-powerful telepathic brain).

> The entire Otherland series closely parallels a two-book series
> from the late Wm. Mark Simmons. "When Dreams Collide" and "In the
> Net of Dreams".  Out of Print, but Amazon has some.

Sadly for me, amazon.co.uk doesn't.

		Richard