[MUD-Dev] Origins of "carebear"

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 12:31:13 CEST 2002

From: "Steve (Bloo) Daniels" <sdaniels at playnet.com>

> I wouldn't be surprised if "carebear" was first used in gaming
> somewhere immediately following the commerical release of the
> Carebear brand. I think that would be around 1985.  I know the
> Carebear cartoon was running then.

I'm almost embarassed to submit this to the list.  Carebears came
out circa 1982 (it may have been 81, but it was not 83).  The
cartoon was a spinoff of the toys.  Were there PVP games in 1982 to
have Carebears on?

[No, it's not that I like Care Bears.  My name is Kerry.  And I was
born in 1973.  Ever since then, my dad has called me "Kerr-Bear."
So when the Care Bears came out, which was before I moved to Alaska
(which was in 1983), guess what I got as gifty things.]

Madrona "Kerr-Bear" Tree.