[MUD-Dev] narrative

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Aug 13 18:23:17 CEST 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Brad Roberts wrote:

> So.. yes, the world of narrative software isn't up to the level of
> producing works on par with the great authors of our time.  That's
> not the goal.  I'll admit that I'm a software guy, and very much
> not a creative writer, so I'm not terribly up to speed on the
> state of the art in this field, but to jump from the inability to
> produce great literature all the way to suggesting that the entire
> topic isn't worth discussing... well, that's about the most
> counter productive thing I've seen float across the list in ages.

Further, most people do not WANT great writing. Joyce is arguably
the greatest English-language writer of the 20th century (possibly
greatest English language novelist in history) and I'm quite sure
neither I nor Brandon (if he were being honest with himself) want to
have to decode layer upon layer of meaning behind the writing. We
want to play games, and great writing isn't required. (And this from
someone who runs text MUDs.)

--matt