[MUD-Dev] Origins of "carebear"

Calandryll calandryll at owo.com
Wed Aug 14 13:10:25 CEST 2002

From: Madrona Tree

> I'm almost embarassed to submit this to the list.  Carebears came
> out circa 1982 (it may have been 81, but it was not 83).  The
> cartoon was a spinoff of the toys.  Were there PVP games in 1982
> to have Carebears on?

I know that before I used it on the Crossroads of Britannia site it
had been used as a generic term outside of gaming referring to
people who are all "touchy-feely". The post itself was basically
just a commentary on the difference between the roleplaying on one
Ultima Online server which was very conflict oriented vs. another,
which was more relationship based. I'm still not sure if that post
kick-started the phrase in MMOGs, but unfortunately it did become a
derogatory term in MMOGs shortly thereafter.

-Jonathan "Calandryll" Hanna