[MUD-Dev] narrative

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Aug 14 14:29:17 CEST 2002

Dave Rickey wrote:

> Just as an example: "Bounty Quests" were a special case solution
> that worked: NPC X wants you to kill monsters of type Y and bring
> you their Z body part as proof.  It's simple, it's boring from a
> story-teller's viewpoint...and the players love it.

As a player, I hate it.  I will not buy any consumer product that
expects me to do this as "fun."  The players who love it are the
same ones who love leveling up in Diablo II forever.  You can use
exactly the same kind of unsophisticated technology to implement it,
no writing of any sort required!  What you have here is a
bifurcation point of player interest, and game designer interest.
There is *NOTHING* encouraging to note about this special case.  It
is the problem.

20% of the world is real.