[MUD-Dev] Re: The total DBMS approach

Hanz Hanz
Thu Aug 15 10:35:38 CEST 2002

From: Daniel.Harman
> From: Hanz, Rob

>> As of version 4.0, MySQL can use row-level locking, if you use
>> the InnoDB handler.  It also has support for transactions,
>> meaning the only major functionality missing is stored procedures
>> and nested select statements.

> Hmm, how do you make a properly n-tier app without sprocs? Do
> people using MsSQL really have to embed the SQL in their code as
> that doesn't sound maintainable or easy to optimise (as you can't
> let a DBA optimise your queries independantly of you).

You really can't.  Hence it being a major piece of functionality
that is missing.

You also limit yourself in schema selection without nested selects.
Doing something fully normalized is pretty well impossible unless
you can nest selects, and probably also nearly impossible without
stored procs.  These are both major drawbacks to MySQL.

> Furthermore, I was under the impression that using sprocs allowed
> the RDBMS to optimise queries more effectively than SQL squirted
> directly down to it.

> This omission seems like quite a deterant to using the product.

It is.  MySQL is really good for websites that use a database more
as a searchable data store and are far more read-dependant than
write-dependant.  In many other cases, it falls a bit flat.

My point was not to say that MySQL is a full-featured, all-around
database.  My point was simply to note that the page-locking and
transaction issues have been resolved at this time.

Rob