[MUD-Dev] Origins of "carebear"

Dave Trump trump at trumps.net
Fri Aug 16 15:12:01 CEST 2002

At 12:31 PM 8/13/02 -0700, Madrona "Kerr-Bear" Tree wrote:
> From: "Steve (Bloo) Daniels" <sdaniels at playnet.com>

>> I wouldn't be surprised if "carebear" was first used in gaming
>> somewhere immediately following the commerical release of the
>> Carebear brand. I think that would be around 1985.  I know the
>> Carebear cartoon was running then.

> I'm almost embarassed to submit this to the list.  Carebears came
> out circa 1982 (it may have been 81, but it was not 83).  The
> cartoon was a spinoff of the toys.  Were there PVP games in 1982
> to have Carebears on?

Around the time of the UO beta there was a game in development
called Furcadia.  Basically a non-pvp happy land of frolicing fluffy
critters.  This game was sometimes referred to as Carebears Online
by the PvP crowd, due to it's conceptual similarity to the cartoon.
The usual response from the same group towards those who wished to
abolish PvP was "Why dont you just go play Furcadia."

I'm sure that had something to do with the common usage of that
"carebears" to describe the non-pvp crowd.

<EdNote: Furcadia is, umm, rather well known on this list>