[MUD-Dev] narrative

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Aug 20 07:45:50 CEST 2002

Jeff Freeman writes:

> I think that's what made the gameshrimp reference to "blah blah
> blah, and that's how you get a quest!" and Jeff K's CRPG so funny
> to me: That's pretty much what they all sound like to me, too.

> So, talking about procedurally generating "stories" and then not
> having any way to procedurally generate the *writing* to go with
> it: Apart from doing it manually, there's another way, at least to
> convey the jist of the conversation (And why do this?  Because
> it's all many players get out of even the best-written dialog
> anyway).

> That would be, just have the NPCs speak with icons.  Rather like
> the Sims.  Talk to the NPC blacksmith and he says (by showing you
> icons), that he's mad, something about a monster.  Something about
> an axe.  Look in your Quest Journal and it says, "Step 1: Go kill
> this monster.  Step 2: Bring the magic axe to the blacksmith."

> Having done that, back with the blacksmith, oh look, now he's
> happy.  And money!

> I realize that isn't a great example of what could be considered a
> compelling narrative. You don't know backstory behind the deal and
> that's an overly simplistic 2-step "quest".  But I don't think I'm
> alone in, well, not caring in the least little bit *why* the
> monster had the axe or why the NPC wanted it.

> The enjoyable part of the story for me, in a game, is me doing
> stuff.

I'm the same way.  I read Camelot quest text as blah-text as well.
I scan it to find out what the character really wants, because none
of the rest of the stuff means much of anything.  Except in the
occasional case when it does and I have to run back to the character
to get the text again.

I'm also in the camp of not having NPCs talk.  I want characters to
be able to act their emotions and to act like they're talking to my
character in a convincing way.  I want them to actually use
blah-speak, perhaps like adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon.  The
Sims technique might work, but I actually favor a technique where
the game simply notifies the player that the blacksmith is asking my
character for a favor - where the request might be indicated as an
icon showing the type of favor that he's talking about.  An example
of an icon would be a sword icon, suggestive of some kind of
combat-related task.  Or a dollar icon, suggesting some kind of
financial transaction.

Double-click the icon to find out more and you're told "The
blacksmith wants to hire you at his forge".  Meanwhile, the
blacksmith character can be seen trying to cajole your character
into working at his forge, with accompanying blah-speak sounding
from the computer.  Your character is shown to be talking things
over with him and pondering the decision - while you decide.  If you
decide to decline, then your character spends a little time to
decline politely and then your character is ready to move on.  If
you decide to blow off the blacksmith, your character can just walk
away - but the abruptness may annoy the blacksmith and a social
bridge has just been burned.

So interactions with NPCs are intended to be entertaining because
the player gets to witness the interactions and drop in commands to
their character to continue a kind of soap opera interaction.  As
I've said, I don't care for piles of text from game characters.
This is because the text is usually not in a style that I care for
and is suggestive of things that just aren't true.  Instead of
writing that stuff, figure out how to make characters be able to act
out interesting encounters.  So when my character walks around a
corner and bumps into a bad guy, they physically interact, possibly
knocking one or the other down, resulting in a natural desire to get
up and fight, apologize, give each other a dirty look, or whatever.
When the blacksmith gets mad, have him wave his arms, or fold them
and tap a foot impatiently, or fume - all of which can be indicated
through cartoon embellishments of red faces, steam coming out of
their ears, etc.

I suggest this stuff be presented not just for chuckles, but because
there would be a social simulation in operation with the NPCs.
Relationships with NPCs would be cultivated.  To form friends and
enemies as desired.  If there are scads of NPCs and the NPCs form
the bulk of the operation of the world, then there is an entire game
to be pursued which consists of social machinations in the NPC
cultures.  Advancement within society, juggling of political
alliances, etc.  All the while, dealing with the other players.

And while I'm ranting, stop with the pretty pictures.  I don't give
a crap about more pretty pictures.  Give me better character
kinematics, collision detection, physical simulations, etc.  Throw
OUT the pretty character graphics and go with simpler characters if
that's what's necessary to give added dimensions of interaction to
the games.  When the blacksmith gives my character a coin for the
task it completed, have him flip the coin to him.  Or place it into
his hand.  Or flip it onto a table for my character to pick up.
There are a thousand ways to hand a coin over, and each one makes a
statement of mood that the player can pick up on.  Those are the
pretty pictures that I want to see.

JB