[MUD-Dev] Social Networks

Freeman Freeman
Thu Aug 22 10:13:34 CEST 2002

From: Harrok

> I would suggest that the East Commons zone worked as a community,
> and Freeport didn't, for two reasons:

> (a) there was something to do in the zone -- low level types could
> fight orcs, higher levels could speculate about whether a griffin
> would be along soon. People had a reason to be there other than
> trading, and in a highly goal-directed game that's vital.  (b)
> there was only one zone there, rather than three.

And anyone can go there regardless of faction.  It's a crossroads,
too.  Frequently if you want to get from A to B, you go through that
zone (Even if you're teleporting via the Druid subway, since it has
one of those, too).

> So in conclusion to this long and probably naive post: cities in
> MMORPGs will only work, in my view, when they are places where you
> can do things other than train.

Yep.  Not just that though.  The NPCs (or more to the point: "the
game") must get out of the players' way and let them conduct their
business.  While there are monsters and guards in East Commons, the
real 'town' is in the tunnel, and nothing will bother you there.