[MUD-Dev] Histories and Legends

paul.schwanz at sun.com paul.schwanz at sun.com
Thu Aug 22 14:25:24 CEST 2002

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2002Q3/msg00610.php

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:51:11 -0700
Ron Gabbard <rgabbard at swbell.net> wrote:

> One facet of storytelling that seems to go underutilized is that
> of histories and/or legends built around player characters.  I
> recently opened an EQ account again after being gone for quite a
> while and started a character on the server I hadn't played on
> since 1999.  There were only a couple of my friends remaining
> there after all this time as everyone else had either re-rolled
> into anonomymity or left.  But, the most disheartening part about
> it was that there was no evidence that my friends (or my original
> character) had ever existed.  The server really had no history or
> past.

[snip]

> The desire to memorialize is a central facet of the human psyche.
> It would seem that leveraging that desire to foster the growth of
> myths and legends would be easier (and more relevant to the
> players) than trying to write intricate backstories and histories
> about NPCs with which the players will always be completely
> disassociated.  The stories will just happen.

Before heading off in a completely different direction, let me just
say that I heartily agree with the point you are making.

You post also triggered some other thoughts that have been rolling
around in my head.  I think we give up a lot by tying everything
about the MMORPG experience to the character.  As you say, when the
character is gone, it is as if nothing were ever accomplished or
almost as if the character had never existed at all. Surely, this
contributes mightily to expressions of dismay at the very mention of
harsh death penalties or the permadeath concept.  When death has the
power to render previous actions futile or to basically erase them,
it should be no surprise that players have a hard time accepting it.

But this is not at all what we would expect to find in the
non-virtual world. Thomas Jefferson's death did not erase the words
he had written.  George Washington's death did not roll back the
nation he helped found.  When Van Gogh passed on, his paintings did
not go with him.  Many seem to be driven to accomplish things that
will last beyond their own mortality.  In some sense, this may
actually be the human attempt at immortality.

If these virtual worlds were more dynamic, if they offered players
the ability to accomplish things outside of their own character, and
if those things persisted beyond the life of the character, would
players be more inclined to accept death as part of their
character's life?  And without death, can a character truly be
memorialized or become a legend?

--Phinehas