[Mud-Dev] Social Networks

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Aug 22 18:37:09 CEST 2002

On 22 Aug 2002, Sasha Hart wrote:
> [Phinehas]

>> In general, it seems to me that shared needs are the key.  And
>> the lower those *perceived* (important to virtual reality) needs
>> appear to fall in Maslow's Heirarchy, the greater their tendency
>> to push toward community.

> A vast amount of what people do is not "need" driven. Why put
> square pegs into round holes?

Need is a relative term anyway and dependent on your objectives. You
only need something in order to accomplish a goal. You don't need
water, for example, unless your goal is to continue to
live. Similarly, you don't need to work together with your citymates
to defend your city against the foul invaders unless your goal is
keeping your virtual city safe.

--matt