[MUD-Dev] Advertising Thread

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Fri Aug 23 08:07:09 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 11:33 AM

> I couldn't give you stats (of course, you can't give me any stats
> either), but I do have quite a bit of anecdotal evidence. There's
> quite a few people out there for whom story and depth is a lot
> more interesting than eye-candy and monster-bashing. They're in
> the minority of course, but then, if I was interested in capturing
> a mass market, I sure wouldn't be making games. I'd be making
> toothpaste.

I'll second this.  Our playerbase diminishes when a new MMORPG comes
out, then surges again three months later.  They have returned from
EQ, UO, AC, and DAoC.  The reason: They got bored with the MMORPG.

Of course, folks who are playing for different reasons, like just
enjoying a social network, can transport that experience to any
other game and probably do if it suits their tastes.  But we do have
many players return from a MMORPG experience after the first three
months, tired of the game and returning to their old standby.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien