[MUD-Dev] Where do you get you numbers?

NetEngels at aol.com NetEngels at aol.com
Fri Aug 23 10:17:29 CEST 2002

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2002Q1/msg00440.php

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:51:24 -0800 (PST)
"Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com> wrote:

> As it happens, one of the measures for firearms is good
> old-fashioned newtonian foot-pounds.  The hardest hitting
> commercially available modern rifle in the world (the .458
> Remington) generates just short of two thousand foot-pounds at the
> muzzle.  This would be enough to knock a human off their feet if
> they weren't braced for it, but it wouldn't knock you back in your
> tracks.  No handgun generates more than 400 foot-pounds (the .454
> Kasull Magnum, which has been known to break wrists).

I'm curious as to where you get your figures for saying making these
statements about foot-pounds for weapons.  According to my copy of
Cartridges of the World by Frank C Barnes, published in 2000 lists
figures for the Casull as follows: 240 grain JHP (jacketed hollow
point), with 31 grains of AA#9 powder fired at 1,916 feet per
sec. for a total energy of 1955 foot-pounds.  There's a damn good
reason that it's broken more than a few wrists in its time.

In the Rifle category, let's turn to Winchester's good ol' .300
WinMag which tops out at 4,187 foot-pounds of energy for a 190 grain
soft point bullet at 3150 fps.  To take it up a notch in the same
caliber, we have the .300 UltraMag, which has muzzle energies around
4,572 foot-pounds with a 250 grain bullet (Hawk RT) at 2,869 fps.
Note that neither of these are the most powerful commercially
available rifles of their type.

I'm curious to know where you got your figures, as I would venture
to guess that your source was uninformed at best.