[MUD-Dev] TECH: Trusting Network Clients

Tue Aug 27 11:08:44 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 05:36, Fox McCloud wrote:

> I lately started planning a graphical MUD and I hope it would work
> so far. But I came across the question to trust the client data or
> not. Of course it would be secure if the server just does
> *everything* but I think this would afford a tremendously server
> power. Well otherwise people could manipulate the data easily, so
> where's the border line, what data should you allow the client to
> process? Any reommendations?

Hi,

My advice is to trust *no* client. No client should be able to tell
the server it's player position or other characteristic. Else there
will surely be cheating...

IMO the client should only tell the server what it wants to do, and
receive the info of it's new properties (position & co). Of course,
it can predict the answer to avoid lag, but this is another problem.

You should take a look to the client-server structure of Arianne, an
open-source mmorpg project (www.arianne.cx).

I also remember of a post in Mud-dev, linked with the GPL'ation of
the Quake 2 sources (Q1 2002, "Quake 2 has gone GPL").

    Tof