[MUD-Dev] Histories and Legends

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Aug 27 16:44:10 CEST 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, apollyon wrote:
> From: paul.schwanz at sun.com

>> If these virtual worlds were more dynamic, if they offered
>> players the ability to accomplish things outside of their own
>> character, and if those things persisted beyond the life of the
>> character, would players be more inclined to accept death as part
>> of their character's life?  And without death, can a character
>> truly be memorialized or become a legend?

Well, I can answer the second part, which is definitively yes. We
very occasionally take a player who is truly dominant in the
political sphere (which is where you can exert the most influence
over the game world) and in-role allow that person to 'Ascend to the
Garden', or become a God. The characters who have achieved that are
definitely legends among the other players.

To offer a personal experience too: I used to play a MUD called
Avalon. Became the most powerful player of my time and so on. I
haven't played in 5 years, but someone told me the other day that
people still talk about my character there as if he were the
boogeyman. That character had achieved the equivalent of Achaea's
Ascension, which essentially permanently enshrined that character in
history of the game.

--matt