[MUD-Dev] TECH: Trusting Network Clients

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Wed Aug 28 00:14:21 CEST 2002

Christohe Badoit wrote:

> My advice is to trust *no* client. No client should be able to
> tell the server it's player position or other characteristic. Else
> there will surely be cheating...

> IMO the client should only tell the server what it wants to do,
> and receive the info of it's new properties (position & co). Of
> course, it can predict the answer to avoid lag, but this is
> another problem.

Well, to be fully accurate, that should be "no client in the hands
of the user" ... since it is usual for a server cluster to have
compute clients and so on that aren't in the hands of the user and
exist as part of the server-side infrastructure. (Like clients that
manipulate weather patterns, or AI clients, or clients that do other
tasks not central to the main parts of the simulation itself.)

> You should take a look to the client-server structure of Arianne,
> an open-source mmorpg project (www.arianne.cx).

I don't see any online documentation or things like that on their
site ... would you mind posting some sort of summarization?

  - Bruce