[MUD-Dev] TECH: Trusting Network Clients

damon baker candyfilleddeathgod at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 00:34:54 CEST 2002

--- Fox McCloud <Fox_McCloud at gmx.net> wrote:

> I lately started planning a graphical MUD and I hope it would work
> so far. But I came across the question to trust the client data or
> not. Of course it would be secure if the server just does
> *everything* but I think this would afford a tremendously server
> power. Well otherwise people could manipulate the data easily, so
> where's the border line, what data should you allow the client to
> process? Any reommendations?

I'm working on something similiar, trying to use a pseudo random
system to make it easier to keep up with things, so that if a
character suddenly starts generating a bunch of numbers that don't
match up with the server's idea of what they should be doing, they
get banned (so like even if they had hacked a client to make them do
a reasonable but still elevated ammount of damage with a weapon, I'd
be able to know that they just weren't having a lucky day.) and
making the clients mutually check each other in various ways. Right
now it's still early testing stages and I'm sure people will find
ways of causeing mischief but I think the idea is worth
investigating further.

dlb