[MUD-Dev] Natural Selection and Communities

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Wed Aug 28 09:44:39 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Paul Schwanz wrote:

>> For example, I recently participated in a discussion regarding
>> eminent domain laws in player-owned cities in an MMORPG currently
>> in development.  This is the first time I've seen ED debated, but
>> in many ways, I feel like I've participated in the same exact
>> discussion on many, many occasions.

> We deal with a lot of ED issues. I know a number of other text
> MUDs do too.

Hehe.  I've never played Achaea, but I would have bet that it and
probably other text MUDs had covered much of this ground...which was
why I only indicted current MMORPGs and those that are in
development.

I know this list has hashed over whether or not MMORPGs are
significantly different to MUDs.  As I recall, most of the
differences discussed had to do with scale.  Do you think the way
you handle player-run cities in Achaea would scale well to an
MMORPG?  Personally, I don't see any reason it wouldn't.

--Phinehas