[MUD-Dev] TECH: Trusting Network Clients

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Thu Aug 29 14:20:05 CEST 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 11:26:17AM -0700, Koster, Raph wrote:
> From: Crosbie Fitch

>> Is there a way of creating a game (in the holistic sense) such
>> that an extreme majority (90%) of players are fully inclined
>> towards fair play, despite opportunities to cheat?

> Only by policing. Based on various studies, the most successful
> policing appears to be capricious, unfair, harshly punitive, and
> near-random. I'm looking for the link with the mathematical
> simulations on this but can't find it offhand.

I believe you are thinking of this article:

    http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/04/rauch.htm

It was posted here on MUD-Dev twice on the same day in two different
threads:

    From: "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com>
    Subject: [MUD-Dev] Virtual Societies
    Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:27:39 -0400

and

    From: shren <shren at io.com>
    Subject: [MUD-Dev] [MLP] NPC Complexity
    Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:52:19 -0500 (CDT)

and it was originally found on Slashdot in

it's also listed in Agora

    http://agora.cubik.org/wiki/edit/Main/ArtificialLife

Besides being fearsome and unpredictable, enforcement in this model
needed to be high-profile as well, because agent honesty was
proportional to the agent's perceived chances of being caught.