[MUD-Dev] Natural Selection and Communities

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Fri Aug 30 13:03:12 CEST 2002

>From John Buehler

> I did misunderstand you to a degree.  I will maintain my
> observation that without purpose, those organizations will not
> come into being.  None of those organizations will come into being
> in EverQuest, for example.  Organizations come into being for a
> reason - in response to a circumstance (including, as Dave Rickey
> just pointed out, the circumstance of a desire for a reward).
> Lacking that circumstance, the organization will not form.  I
> don't believe that games need to 'code' an organization into
> being, but a game does have to lay the groundwork for the players
> to naturally form into a given organization.

I have, in fact, seen city governments and city councils in
EverQuest.  The fact that they can't actually do anything but
roleplay the role certainly hasn't stopped them from doing so.
Certainly, the council's will is pretty much unenforced, but a lot
of people seem to enjoy it for its own sake.

--d