[MUD-Dev] TECH: Trusting Network Clients

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Fri Aug 30 23:01:13 CEST 2002

Brack, J. Allen write:
> Jeff Freeman wrote:

>> IMO, it's not even close to being a majority of the players.  It
>> doesn't need to be, though.  Just a handful will do.

> I'll go further and say that this small minority will actually
> encourage other people to cheat in order to just stay competitive.
> Shortly after Starcraft launched a map cheat came out.  For the
> uninitiated, Starcraft is a real time strategy game and the map
> cheat allowed you to see every single unit position.  In almost no
> time it was required just to have fun, so the majority of players
> picked it up.  Those without were instantly turned into Zerg food.

I'd beg to differ on how it was required to have fun, I've played
starcraft extensively and although I have seen and tried the cheat
out once, I almost never used it and generally win about 3-4 times
as often as I lose.

Although I haven't played much in a year, when I last went to
battle.net I found the map selection somewhat less than
amusing... something about shared base and noclutter maps just seems
to take the fun out of it for me.

I didn't much like the old BGH maps but I'd much prefer those.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom