[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 21:55:24 CET 2002

Paul Schwanz ruminates:

> .....  Of course, we tend to value items based upon the work
> needed to aquire it and this new paradigm could indeed cause
> players to value possessions or skills less.

I agree with most of the stuff you said.  But if you think about the
stuff players get when logging in as 'gifts', I think it might be
useful to point out that people probably value gifts based on
uniqueness, not necessarily the work required in getting it.  That
is, a set of expensive socks might be worth the same as a DVD of my
favorite movie.  The first is almost ubiquitous, the later is more
unique (to some extent) to me.

TLC