[MUD-Dev] FEAR Animat style AI for Quake 2

shren shren at io.com
Tue Dec 3 09:18:55 CET 2002

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Frank Crowell wrote:
> From: "shren" <shren at io.com>
>> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Freeman, Jeff wrote:
>>> From Ted L. Chen

> Actually this is an issue that is rarely considered and could very
> well ruin the notion of "game".  In the FPS community the bots are
> much disliked.  The assumption is that the bots cheat and
> therefore shouldn't be allowed.

> I have posted several times on the theme that bots are disliked by
> the admins and most players.  The only ones that seem to like bots
> are the botmakers.  Even MUDs quickly made the environments
> hostile to bots and almost every mud today still has the
> restrictions against cyborgs and bots.  The smart bots were kicked
> out and the dumb bots got to stay taking in-server jobs as mobs
> and NPCs.

Well, humans don't like to compete with smart bots, and there's good
reason.  A bot doesn't have to contend with lag, can aim merely by
wanting to, and never, ever backs down.  Add to that that most
people in muds try to use bots to get ahead.

I noted that the new version of Unreal has very smart bots, and very
smart bot designers - because the bots are designed to play second
string roles.  The bots can pad out a game to make it of decent size
but they don't take over the game.  Bots, like the brooms in the
Magician's Apprentice, are more than capable of taking over a game.