[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

shren shren at io.com
Fri Dec 6 08:53:05 CET 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Freeman, Jeff wrote:

> So, lots of incentive to return to the game, but not much
> incentive to stay playing the game for very long once you're in
> it.  Even purchasing a house upgrade, for another example, doesn't
> encourage you to play longer and go decorate your (now larger)
> house, but instead encourages you to login tomorrow (when the
> upgrade is complete).

> Anyway, not a MUD, as I said, but it's worth checking out.

Reminds me of Anarchy Online's "enter and get your own copy of the
dungeon" - I believe Destination Games was discussing something
similar, where you go in and get your own copy of the "dungeon".
(They used an amusement park ride analogy.)  All you'd have to do is
time-limit the dungeon entry and you'd have similar features in your
MMORPG.