[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Koster Koster
Sat Dec 7 17:23:41 CET 2002

From: brian hook

> The political reality is that games do not have a strong lobby or
> union protecting them.  Every other major form of entertainment
> has something like the RIAA, MPAA, etc. protecting its interests.

Well, technically we do have such a lobby, it's called the IDSA,
Interactive Digital Software Association, and the spokesperson for
it is Doug Lowenstein. It's ccertainly not as powerful as the RIAA
or MPAA.

  http://www.idsa.com

> Game companies are too busy competing with each other to take
> outside threats seriously, which means that they are the easiest
> possible target.

We're certainly the target of the moment. And given the heavily
conservative government and benches we're going to have for the next
few years as well as the serious erosion of freedoms we're already
observing, there's real risk of stuff happening like what happened
with the Comics Code, at least here in the US.

  http://www.sideroad.com/comics/column12.html for a short version
  http://www.comics.dm.net/codetext.htm is the actual code

We even have our own Dr. Frederick Wertham, in the person of one
Col.  Grossman:

  http://www.killology.com/index.htm

-Raph