[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Koster Koster
Mon Dec 9 17:05:41 CET 2002

From: shren

> There are no private parties.  There are no private places except
> homes, which tend to be very small.  You can't rent convention
> halls.  You are jammed in with the teeming herd 100% of your time
> in your game of choice, which explains why said teeming herd tends
> to act like rats packed into a too-small cage.  If you want to get
> away from the crowd, the only thing to do is to quit playing.

That is sheerly a function of the quantity of content in the world,
not of whether or not stuff is instanced. In a large enough world
with the right size population, you can easilyt ravel great
distances by yourself without seeing a soul--consider AC for
example.

> THERE is overrated.  In THERE, people are waiting in line like
> shoppers to fight an 'epic battle'.  In THERE, all the monsters
> have been killed and it's empty.  In THERE, there's someone
> lurking to kill you.

> THERE feels more like a tourist trap than, oh, say, a dungeon.
> I've by and large quit playing MMORPGs because I haven't seen a
> THERE worth being in for a long time.  It's not the THERE that's
> broken, but the fact that everyone else is there, too.

And that sounds like a single-player game.

-Raph