[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Dec 11 01:15:31 CET 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Justin Quimby wrote:

> And who creates buzz?  The vocal 'hardcore' players who, for the
> most part, are cynical, jaded, and bitter.  If you want buzz, you
> need those players.  As long as things are still "shiney and new",
> there is the potential for buzz.  Once the harsh light of shipping
> reveals all the dings, scuffs, and scratches of the actual game,
> buzz can be lost quite quickly.  The trick is in converting that
> hardcore buzz into broader market appeal.

I dunno. That's true for games made to appeal to the hardcore, but
how about the upcoming game with the biggest buzz, the Sims
Online. It's not Shadowbane or Neocron I see on the cover of
Newsweek and Fortune, and I doubt Newsweek is putting TSO there
because a bunch of jaded bitter types are drooling to play it.

--matt