[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Wed Dec 11 17:57:11 CET 2002

From: "Madrona Tree" <madronatree at hotmail.com>
> From: "Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com>

>> Maybe this is all that is needed for most people who play MMOGs
>> but lack the self-control to limit their own play time.  Have the
>> game system lock out people voluntarily for whatever duration
>> they want, or have it limit them to xx hours a day.  Who am I to
>> judge that 10 hours is too much for you, or that 1 hr is just
>> right.  Or that the pure accumulation of wealth corrupts your
>> moral compass.  My philosophy is that your vices and virtues are
>> yours.  I'll help you anyway I can, but the first step is to ask
>> for it.

> I don't think it's a bad idea.

> A long time ago, I suggested to Raph that they add a "Sleep Timer"
> to SWG, similar to what most Televisions have.  So that youd type
> /sleep or something, and a box would pop up and ask you when you
> wanted to log off.  You type in 2:00 for 2 hours, and hit "OK."
> In 1:50, the game would warn you that you had 10 minutes to log
> out, and in 2:00, the game would log you out.

> I don't think the feature made it into implementation, but I still
> think it's a good idea.

There's every reason to allow players to set alarms in game for
themselves. The more engrossing a game, the more likely you'll need
an alarm in game that someone can set so they can do the little
things, like pick someone up, start dinner, or the bigger things
like limit their time on game. This is somewhat different than
forcing them off the game.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com