[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Sasha Hart hart.s at attbi.com
Wed Dec 11 20:57:45 CET 2002

[Eric Hu]

> The only problem is, player dont want to limit his own fingers.

I wouldn't be so sure. If you are normal, you often want to do one
thing at one time, and another thing at another time. Some people
who were addicted to drugs sober up, but know that if they are too
tempted, or if the drugs are right there, or if they get in their
old situation or apartment or group of friends, that they will get
back on drugs. So they take measures to avoid that situation.

I have certainly been in situations where I was relieved that I
didn't have or couldn't get or was prevented from getting something
I wanted because it was bad for me anyway, and I knew I couldn't
resist it. I have also been in situations where little differences
(even stuff that I could arrange) could tip my decision making away
from doing something even though it was actually just as possible as
the conditions under which I would definitely do it. If we were
talking about MUDs, it might be that I would have to get a mud
client before I started (definitely possible and quite easy), but
didn't feel like it, even though if I had the mud client I would
start.

It seems weird that someone might both want something and not want
it, but if one part wants it and another doesn't, or that he at one
time wants it or another time doesn't, or that he in one sense wants
it but in another doesn't, it's not actually contradictory.