[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Eric Hu satan at TRPG.org
Thu Dec 12 10:39:04 CET 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:13:13 -0600 (CST)
shren <shren at io.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Vincent Archer wrote:

>> According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com: With 4 expansions
>> now, EQ has oodles of content that no new MMORPG going out can
>> really compete with. Tons of intricate and completely different
>> looking areas. Tens of thousand different items. Nearly a hundred
>> different visual models of MOBs (one of my friend got tired of
>> DAoC because, at his level, all he was every fighting was
>> differently colored werewolves and spiders, which looked exactly
>> the same as the spiders and werewolves he had fought 10 levels
>> ago in a different zone).

> People often criticize EQ for it's graphics, yet it also gets
> praised for it's diversity.  Does this mean that having more
> 'mobs' with less polygons (thus favoring variety over graphical
> quality) is a good tactic for preserving players in the long term?

I think the answer is postitive.

People get tired of the same 'stuff'. If all he heard it the alike
sound effect, he will turn off the sound soon. If all he saw is the
same 'mob', the semblable scene, he will quit the game soon. If he
found all he could do is hack-and-slash after 2 years, he will quit
the game too.

Less polygons mean that player dont need to purchase the expensive
hardware, and it run smoother. If the Game could keep the 'fangle
feeling', I think players would not mind to hug a less polygon game.