Software Styles (was: Re: [MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck)

bradley newton haug brad at faithanddisease.com
Thu Dec 12 20:39:15 CET 2002

Kebernet Wrote:

> Once I finished my stint in a research role in the academia world,
> I sort of game up on the idea of working in the game industry for
> one main reason:

> Greed.

I remember visiting Electronic Arts: Seattle when I was waffling
about wanting to pursue games. I was working at Asymetrix which was
one block away in Bellevue, WA, and I went over for a get to know
you thing, and they had at least 12 Developers, some senior in
cubicles (!!!) crammed into a little room, I mean little, but oh
they got to play with toys like RC cars, I'm thinking "you poor sad
f*ckers sold your soul for a gumbi doll".  I was like what's the
upside, it has to be pay right.  The manager was frank with me, and
*he* actually got paid the same as I did as a little spud at a paul
allen firm.

didn't think about games for quite a few years.  Didn't ever really
think about EA the same either.

-brad