[MUD-Dev] Pay for Item MMOG : Entropia article on Slashdot

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Dec 12 21:27:12 CET 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Justice Ocker wrote:

>   http://entropia.stratics.com/content/economy/model.shtml

> I think this goes far beyond just purchasing items for the game.
> Mindark seems to think that people will have no problem using this
> format to interface with the Internet in general.  They are
> shooting for a mass market approach, even comparing themselves to
> Netscape!  Has this been attempted before or is it just all of the
> sci-fi novels I have read ;)?  This just doesn't seem to viable.

Hahaha. That is a funny read, thanks. I didn't realize that smoking
crack was so epidemic in Sweden. These guys are complete idiots, and
I can't believe that anyone does anything but point and
snicker. Stratics and IGN and whatnot should be ashamed of
themselves for giving them the time of day and wasting space on
their sites. There's a lot to be said for ballsy projects, but they
are clearly not brave, just stupid.

Let's look at their assumptions:

  1. One million users logged in, 24 hours a day. Nevermind that no
  MUD of any sort has ever hit 1 million simultaneous at peak, much
  less average. Heh, they say this is a "conservative"
  estimate. Their rationale? ICQ and IM already have millions of
  users, and they have less features than Project Entropia does!
  Whooo hoo! Airtight logic indeed.

  2. Each user is willing to spend $1/hour. Heh heh. This almost
  reads like a parody of a naive game developer.

They are going to be a magnet for credit card fraud and money
laundering, and since they offer gambling, they won't be able to
target the US market, or even come here for fear of being arrested
under US gambling laws. (Though they're so bumblingly naive they
probably believe none of this will be a problem.)

What amazes me is that ANYONE would give these guys money. I'd love
to meet an investor that incredibly ignorant and gullible. It's like
giving money to JeffK! (www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/)

Luckily, the universe isn't completely unjust, and they are
guaranteed to fail at their goals in a spectacularly amusing way.

--matt

Bush "OKs" religious discrimination by federal contractors. More
wackiness to come!